Thursday, June 30, 2011

So it begins.

I'm sitting at my desk at my job right now typing my first (ever) blog post of any kind.  I'm looking forward to taking part in PCP for a number of reasons.

Over the years, my sales job has gotten more "efficient" which means I'm able to do more from my desk than I used to.  It also means that I'm moving less.  Having grown up & worked on my family farm as a kid, I was always a healthy, skinny kid.  The concept of "exercise" didn't exist.  It was just "time to do chores" or simply "get to work." Chopping wood, stacking hay and other activities built up a lot of muscle over those years.

I'm glad I had this type of active upbringing as it's definitely not the norm today, but after college and moving to "the big city" those strenuous activities were replaced with more office type work.  The idea of just running in place never made sense to me, unless I got something done while doing it somehow.  Maybe "running" to the store?  Walking the dogs?  Those are the most strenuous things I've done in recent years.  Not nearly enough activity in order to tackle the increasing calories I've taken in.  I've gotten the "almost 40 spare tire" and lost strength in my arms & legs.

I bumped into the son of a friend and he looked great.  Of course, he's 10-12 years younger than me, too, but he's the one who told me about PCP.  It sounded like just the type of program I needed to help motivate me to "hit the reset button" and establish new, healthier habits.  I liked this program for a few reasons:

-- It's not an exercise program or a diet program... it's both.

-- The exercises can be done at home & mainly use your own body weight. I don't need to go to a gym.

-- The concept is very basic knowledge, but it's all laid out in such a way that helps guide you through the correct way to both diet & exercise.

-- It's about having a healthy, fit body & not just as much muscle mass as you can get.

-- The social networking aspect was interesting & I'd be blogging about it, which is something I've toyed with the thought of for some time.

So, off to buy my jump rope & to set my alarm clock.

The journey begins.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome and good luck on your personal journey (which you will not be doing alone). Make sure that you get a jump rope with a counter. Makes it a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welome to the club. It is addictive. We are on our 31 day now and it has really changed so much about the way you think about food and exercise.

    The new energy you will gain is brilliant and will surprise you.

    Ask all the questions you need and read the blogs of the folks in the previous groups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, those are all the reasons I signed up. Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete