Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 5 - Refrigerator make over.

Well, my wife & I went grocery shopping on Sunday.  This entailed a visit to two stores (one supermarket & our local health food store).  We left with our car full of healthy food & she asked me, "Where are we going to fit all of this?"  I had a plan.

After bringing in the groceries she went out to water the garden. I then proceeded to go through the refrigerator and threw out junk food items, out of date containers, leftovers from god knows when & just about anything that won't fit into my routine.  I then replaced it with eggs, tons of fruits & veggies, herbs, and a few "special ingredients."  When she came in she couldn't believe how organized the fridge looked.

I've been having fun buying items I'm referring to as "special ingredients"as they are simply veggies, fruit or herbs that I may not be familiar with, or haven't really eaten and then I make a point of finding recipes to make using them. This has been great fun and I've introduced us both to the joys of things such as egg plant, tatsoi, shallots (I love shallots!), chia seeds, nutritional yeast, a variety of vinegars and more.  I believe that Patrick will have us cut back as much salt & sugar as we can from our diets, so I am really trying to do more with spices & herbs.

I'm wondering if any of you ever come across a really great recipe, you might share it with us in a blog posting?  If you find it online, you could simply cut & paste the info, or just share the link to the website with us.  I'll work on doing the same!  Let's have fun in the kitchen!

Here's to healthy habits,

Michael

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes you will learn the joys of herbs and spices. Trust me though that you will learn to love the simple things such as steamed veg. Your palette will appreciate them more than you ever have before. It is great.

    Seems like you have just the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a great recipe for those seeds

    http://youtu.be/zDphoZk6RzE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tracey for your words of encouragement. Brennan, I've seen that recipe for the chia seeds & can't ever get it to come out the same way as they do!! lol. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fava beans are in season here! I'm trying this tonight: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RE00055

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe Claudia. I love trying new dishes & this looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete